If you have been arrested and charged with a criminal offense, you may feel as though no one is on your side. Whether the charges are misdemeanor or felony in nature, facing the prospect of a trial and possible jail or prison time is very difficult. It is extremely important that you have an experienced and aggressive Gainesville criminal defense attorney on your side who will fight for your rights.
The Criminal Defense Process
It is very important that you wait until you are in the presence of a Gainesville criminal defense lawyer before you say anything to the police. Anything you say from the point of arrest forward can be used against you. When you first meet with your attorney he will explain the criminal defense process as it pertains to your case. He will need you to be honest with him about the details of the case so that he can draw up as effective a defense as possible. Remember that all you say to your attorney is held in strict confidence. He is the one person you can trust. You must not discuss your case with others at the jail, nor even with family. This is because they could then later be subpoenaed to testify against you.
Areas of Criminal Defense
Criminal defense covers a wide range of crimes. Your Gainesville criminal defense attorney has the knowledge needed to defend you effectively, regardless of your charges.
Among the types of crimes we defend are:
- Drug Crimes: Criminal charges for drug crimes in Florida range from possession, manufacture, and intent to sell illegal drugs to medications that under controlled situations are legally given to patients.
- Driving Under the Influence: Florida has become very rigorous in its laws against driving while intoxicated. The penalties depend upon the nature of the offense. The most serious of charges is DUI manslaughter. Penalties also differ for minors who are convicted of DUI.
- Violent Crimes: Among the most serious of penalties are wrought for those convicted of violent offenses. Violent crimes, however, covers a range of charges, from domestic abuse to assault and battery, to manslaughter and murder.
- Sex Crimes: Sex trafficking, rape, solicitation, child molestation, and possession of child pornography are among the many offenses included in this area of criminal defense law.
- Theft Crimes: As with some other criminal cases, theft crimes may be treated as misdemeanors or felonies, in this case generally depending upon the cost of the merchandize stolen. Petty larceny, shoplifting, identity theft, etc., are a part of this type of criminal defense.
- White Collar Crimes: Despite the fact that white collar crimes are not violent in nature, they can carry significant penalties. Money laundering, embezzlement, fraud and racketeering are all aspects of white collar crimes.
A Gainesville Criminal Defense Lawyer Can Help
If you have been charged with a crime, it is imperative that you have a Gainesville criminal defense attorney in your corner. Call Attorney Rick Mercure at (352) 222-2047 for a free, confidential case evaluation.